FOUNDATION Course Curriculum (12 weeks)

FOUNDATION Course Equipment List

Friday, April 18, 2025

Week 3B Silence is Golden Exam Practice

Nice work last night Arron. You are doing well. I'm sure glad we did a run through exam so you can see where you and Denali are currently at. As you watch and review your video look at the following things that I noticed from rewatching. 

 On the Right Turn make sure to turn your left foot 45 degrees and shift your weight. All this will indicate to the dog you are turning. If you watch the video you will notice that your left foot stays straight and you are taking the right leg to grab the leash and pull her into the turn. 

Your Right About Turn (RAT) looks really good. It seems you really have that one down. I also noticed last night that your right arm/hand are much more relaxed. You have really worked on this. I was impressed. 

I noticed last night you were a little confused between the 3 step halt and the Exercise finish. The 3 step halt is used when you are coming to a stop as you are heeling Denali. If you get a chance, go back and review the mechanics for this. The sliding of the hand down the leash with the foot work was slightly off. And you will notice in the video, right before you did the slow pace change you closed with the wrong foot. 

Whereas the Exercise finish is used to tell the dog a specific exercise is finished. (Sit stay, stand, etc.) You did great on the exercise finish after the sit stay. You slid your hand down the leash as you took a step forward with your left foot, then gave the kiss signal as you closed with your right foot. GREAT JOB!

After rewatching the video, I picked up on something I didn't notice last night. On the sit stay I thought she broke when I had you take a step back, but after rewatching, she actually broke because of how you lifted the leash up. She was confused on what you wanted her to do. When you rewatch you will definitely see it. I love how you praised under her chin to encourage eye contact. That was great Arron! I also thought you did perfect in going back into her and repositioning her on the board. You did it to where she started understanding what you wanted her to do. One comment to work on, start increasing the distance of the sit stay to 6 feet. That is the entire length of the leash. I think Denali can do that, and it will help having that distance increased to 6 feet when we get to lesson 4. 

When we first started the stand Denali was confused with what you wanted her to do, but after practicing and having the leash around her really helped her. In fact on the test the leash around her wasn't in the correct position and she held the stand pretty good. Remember that when doing conditioned relaxation, which Denali loves, only go from head to withers (shoulder blades). Going down on the back any further indicates to the dog that you want them to go into a sit. Does that make sense?  

All in all last night was successful, at least from my perspective.  I hope you felt the same. It was so much fun to be able to have Kat there to give good suggestions and insights into helping Denali be successful. Jessi will be able to review and give further insight into what she observes. 


And after all of that Denali was DONE! I bet quiet time was a breeze last night 😃






12 comments:

  1. Exam 3B silence is golden Preview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love and second Trina’s comments! So much great advice in there.

    I feel like Denali is already showing a lot more confidence, Arron! Are you seeing that, too? The more you work with her, the more you will continue to build that confidence! Keep it up! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. These comments and perspectives make a lot of sense! We’re going to keep practicing this weekend. I’m going to hook it up on my laptop so I can get a better view here. Thank you girls very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi , I think you need to work Denali another week on week3 material. I’d like you to also watch this video. And ask your self are my turns correct. Is my 3step halt correct. You need to be able to see these video on a larger screen than your phone, it helps you . work Fido to memorize the Mechanics into your long term muscle memory. Make sense ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There’s a lot going on in that video 😀. My right turns didn’t feel correct yesterday. After watching them it makes sense. We’re going to practice our turns more. I’m going to cut my place board down to a smaller size. And practice 3 step hauls and exercise finished separately.First I’m going to go back and watch the videos again on how to correctly do them! We have work to do here for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will get it! “Just keep swimming…” ☺️

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the encouragement Kat !

      Delete
  6. That makes perfect sense jesse

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. A dog can't be any better than their owner. The owner has the greater responsibility to memorize the KMODT, to practice them with Fido, and to develop a keen sense of what IS correct and what is not correct. Denali is super smart, Arron, but she deserves clarity in communication and that only you can train yourself to do correctly.

    Another week of Week 3 mechanics is a good call, Jessi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ladies! :). I have my laptop up and running. were going to keep practicing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there a video posted about where to position the leash for a stand around her waist?

    ReplyDelete